Re: [IP] nausea in teen

From: "Pamela Payne" <email @ redacted>

>When blood sugars are high and you are cranky is your ability to think
impaired so much that even as an adult you just can't realize you are being
rude or obnoxious?

I wonder if I need to cut her some slack.>

As a 54 year old, my behavior when low is more obviously affected (i.e.,
impaired).  I definitely can be rude and obnoxious then and I have heard
from many others that this is typical "low blood sugar behavior".  I
actually give my husband a hard time when he tries to help (he ALWAYS knows
when I'm low long before I do ).  I think that part of the reason I react
that way is because I know I don't have control when I'm low; it is
dreadfully painful and frustrating for this adult not to be in control.  But
I also believe that I react this way is because I DON'T KNOW that I don't
have control.  ( I'm not explaining this well; is my blood sugar low?)  All
I do know is that it is TERRIBLE to have low blood sugar; I feel like I am a
prisoner and I can't imagine how awful that would have been when I was a
teenager, especially considering how awful it was just to be a teenager!
(Of course, I didn't know that at the time!)

My change in behavior is definitely more subtle when my blood sugar is high.
I feel logey, but people (even my observant husband) don't really know when
I'm high.  I don't tend to be rude and obnoxious; I just tend to be slow.

I guess I can't really give you advice for dealing with your teenage
daughter.  It's just plain hard having diabetes no matter what your age is.
But I know I have to try to control my blood sugars as well as I possibly
can so I can drive to work or to the mall, so I can work successfully at my
job, so I can be a good friend and a considerate spouse and lover, so I can
kick off my shoes and dance the night away, so I can sing the blues or play
the boogie woogie, and, yes, so I can live a long, healthy life.  Somehow
you have to find a balance between giving your daughter some slack and
encouraging her to proactively take on her diabetes.

Good luck.