Re: [IP] new job-how much info to give employer?

In a message dated 5/23/02 10:41:10 PM Central Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> Hi!
> Well, finally after 11 months I have a job!  Any  advice on whether or what
> tell my new employer about my diabetes?  Do I tell them "upfront"?  I am
> not
> sure of what to do.  I was at my previous job for over 7 years.  Any
> suggestions?
> Thanks,
> Ella

The job I have now (started Sept 17th) was the first one I got since being
dx'd . I too was very unsure - I did not say anything during the interview
and on the first day - but I did have a bad low in the afternoon, and again
the next day - my boss had told me some things that day (she was getting
ready to go out on medical leave for a month for surgery) so that had opened
the door - so that afternoon at the end of the day I told her. Her biggest
concern was - do I wear a medical alert bracelet - showed it to her - also
showed her the frosting in my desk drawer and told her I always have my kit
and glucose tabs with me. She was satisfied. I also told the other gal in our

At the first big staff meeting (1st wed in Oct) I told the entire staff and
showed em my pump. Hasn't been an issue. But we are a non-profit that works
with clients with health concerns so it was an "open" audience.

I have always just pulled out my kit and done a quick test if I go out to
lunch etc - and it hasn't been an issue. I figured - this is me - this is a
partof me - here it is - now lets get back to work. So far it's worked well
for me.

Good Luck and Congratulations!

Linda & Dax