RE: [IP] Picking a pump

If (or should I say when) this happens to you, MM tech support will tell you
that you need the new and improved, foil-lined alien probe protection
device...I mean static guard.  I'm joking!!!!  The aliens aren't going to
probe the pump memory, as far as I know.  I'm convinced that my pump got
screwed up last year when I did the ADA ride from Mt Hood to Hood River and
passed under high-voltage lines from hydro plants on the Columbia.  Oh, the
irony...

The following is from a review of the MM pumps at
http://www.diabetesnet.com/diabetes_technology/insulinpumps_minimed.php.
Static Electricity
Problems with electrostatic discharge, or static electricity, are reduced in
the Paradigm. That it should have any at all is surprising. Good electrical
design would eliminate the static electricity problem that has been present
in MiniMed pumps for several years. The erasure of basal rates due to
electrostatic discharge is commonly discussed when pump wearers gather,
especially in charged areas of the country. It is not clear whether the
updated Paradigm is in alignment with the 15 kV International Standard.
The pump comes with an unusual leather case which is metal-lined. This type
of shielding is normally used around devices that do not have adequate
protection against electrostatic discharge. Other pumps carry a CE mark to
indicate compliance with international standards, normally a prerequisite
for sales in Australia, Canada and Europe. The Paradigm does not appear to
carry this mark.