RE: [IP] MiniMed 508 Questions....Priming, Case and Resevoir and Humalog

Cherry [mailto:email @ redacted] wrote:

> Actually Jim...I was told that insulin is a hormone that will
> make you put
> weight on in SOME people...I was told this by several
> doctors, MM, Animas,
> some CDE's....After having so many people tell me this, and
> seeing my own
> reaction to insulin, I tend to believe it. YMMV

Cherry, some of this is nothing more than the old time conventional wisdom.
For years people tended to gain weight using insulin because they were
taking prescribed doses every day and ended up having to feed the insulin.
This is reduced somewhat with MDI, but because of the baseline of long
acting insulin, one still needs to eat fairly regularly.

With a pump, one can refine the basals so one uses only enough insulin to
cover exact needs.  One of the effects of the freedom a pump gives is also
being able to eat *more* than one used to, and eat whenever one wants to.
The effect is often snacking and not keeping accurate track of the total
calories taken in, and the result is weight gain.

The danger is accepting weight gain as something that one can do nothing
about, and doing that adds to the likelihood of cardiovascular
complications.  One bit of conventional wisdom that is valid is that all
diabetics are heart patients.  The risk of having a heart attack in an
otherwise healthy diabetic (not overweight, etc.) is the same as a
non-diabetic who has already had one heart attack - IOW an otherwise healthy
diabetic is approximately five times more likely to have a heart attack than
a healthy non-diabetic.

Jim Handsfield