[IP] Paridigm Upgrade

Subject: Re: [IP] Paridigm Upgrade

In a message dated 5/20/2002 5:12:03 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> I heard that MM
>  is applying to the FDA to get authorization to use u200 insulin

Michael Robinton (the IP list's founder) last reported that MM had dropped
their pursuit of the developing U200 insulin so using a more concentrated
insulin as a possible solution for the Paradigm's limited reservoir capacity
is not a option for the foreseeable future, if ever . . .
Insulin molecules by their v shape tend to link together and form a polymer.
This is essentially how plastics are made. polymers are long chains of
molecules which are physically strung together to form a chain, Insulin
polymerizes in high concentration and when agitated. U-200 is of higher
concentration and probably polymerizes on the FDA test. The insilin polymer
forms fibers which string together and clog the tubing. While it is probable
that Novolog coujld be engineered not to do this it would be a different
Novolog than we know today. In Humulog the Lis-Pro part is very close to the
crotch of the v and I don't see how the molecule could be engineered and
still function as insulin. See your humulog package insert for details of
the molecule. spot
A. L. Bender, M. D.