[IP] pump hospitalization

From: Linda Weed <email @ redacted>
>>>Also, on the thread about pump education, I was hospitalized for an
entire week and got stabilized there. I don't remember too much about it
actually, and I don't even remember what year it was, but I
think it was around 1987.>>>

I, too, was hospitalized an entire week in 1983. I was free to go shopping,
prayer meeting, coupon club, whatever - as long as I returned for each of my
7 daily BGs. The lab took them, but I had to take one with my cut ChemStrip
bG to demonstrate I was interpolating them correctly. At home I had to set
the alarm for 3:00 a.m. for a month to test and see that my BGs were in
target.

When the alarm went off every a.m. Tippy got excited. After the testing
period, she continued to awaken me at 3:00 a.m.  Thanks, Pavlov! ;)

BTW, that basal (one only) was *set for life* as far as we knew. After
getting *stabilized* we were to take 4 BGs a day, then cut back
sporadically. Thanks to the 'net, 3 yrs ago I started learning at least 17
things about pumping I never knew before. As trials and errors were learned,
my endo did not keep up. His Diabetes Educator was in the very first group
to become Certified - therefore she was then designated as a CDE. Sadly, her
church decided she'd serve better in a retirement home for nuns. I believe
she would have kept up with the advances in pumping.

BTW, I recently found a lab sheet from '92 and my A1c was 11.6. Endo did
nothing to teach me what to do to lower it. I figured I was so bad off I
couldn't do anything. YMMV (~_^)

@

A tongue three inches long can ruin a man six feet tall.