[IP] pump hospitalization

From: Linda Weed <email @ redacted>
>>>Also, on the thread about pump education, I was hospitalized for an
entire week and got stabilized there. I don't remember too much about it
actually, and I don't even remember what year it was, but I
think it was around 1987.>>>

I, too, was hospitalized an entire week in 1983. I was free to go shopping,
prayer meeting, coupon club, whatever - as long as I returned for each of my
7 daily BGs. The lab took them, but I had to take one with my cut ChemStrip
bG to demonstrate I was interpolating them correctly. At home I had to set
the alarm for 3:00 a.m. for a month to test and see that my BGs were in

When the alarm went off every a.m. Tippy got excited. After the testing
period, she continued to awaken me at 3:00 a.m.  Thanks, Pavlov! ;)

BTW, that basal (one only) was *set for life* as far as we knew. After
getting *stabilized* we were to take 4 BGs a day, then cut back
sporadically. Thanks to the 'net, 3 yrs ago I started learning at least 17
things about pumping I never knew before. As trials and errors were learned,
my endo did not keep up. His Diabetes Educator was in the very first group
to become Certified - therefore she was then designated as a CDE. Sadly, her
church decided she'd serve better in a retirement home for nuns. I believe
she would have kept up with the advances in pumping.

BTW, I recently found a lab sheet from '92 and my A1c was 11.6. Endo did
nothing to teach me what to do to lower it. I figured I was so bad off I
couldn't do anything. YMMV (~_^)

A tongue three inches long can ruin a man six feet tall.