[IP] Early treatments for iddm

 Thank God for progress.  i even remember reading somewhere that
one of the first treatments for DM was a high fat diet with low cards -
metabolism was slowed patient lived a little longer.  Burnt toast was the
meal in the am.  I cringe even when I think of the first pump I had that
weighed 2 bs and was larger than my telephone!! and the needles I used that
bent to curve to my shape so they'd stick less.  Amazing
Yes, the diet was called the Allan diet, it also included eggs bulked up
with talcum powder and whiskey. spot
Whiskey was a carb not requiring insulin to enter the metabolic stream and
it carried all the ketones into their metabolic pathways to get rid of them.
They burned the toast to get rid of most of the carbs. spot
A. L. Bender, M. D.