[IP] sore throat and differential diagnosis

The doctor who prescribed the amoxicillin to me should have suspected mono
because I presented with exhaustion, sore throat, swollen glands, and a pain
on the left side of my abdomen when I inhaled deeply or bent over. Mono
causes the spleen to swell, not serious but they will tell you no contact
sports for several months.

Mono causes the spleen to  swell..., not serious but they...no contact
sports for sveral months. Not serious, It can rupture and you can bleed
internally requiring a surgical repair of your spleen or worse, splenectomy
(removal of the spleen). By the way sore throat is a difficult diagnosis to
make on examination alone since its differential diagnosis includes hundreds
of entities many of them including mailaise and fatigue, such as rocky
mountain spotted fever. I guess your doc didn't invest in a tricorder to
tell him what was wrong, "up front". or his divining rod and crystal ball
were out for repairs. spot
A. L. Bender, M. D.