[IP] humalog pen

For those of you who use or have used an insulin pen, I have a question.  I
am currently off the pump (temporarily, I hope) and am using a pen for
bolusing.  Naturally, the company says that needles are single use, but even
my doctor tells me I can use one needle a day.  If you re-use the needles,
do you keep the needle on the pen throughout the day, or do you remove it?

 Also, do you prime 2 units every time you inject?

When you do prime 2 units and you're out at a restaurant and you don't feel
compelled to disappear into the restroom, do you end up spraying insulin
about?  In my vast experience over the past 8 hours, those units sure can
fly about!  It's kind of funny in my kitchen, but I could use some
suggestions as to how to be more discreet.  (Even when I'm real careful and
slow, 2 units is an ample amount and can really be smelled, at the very
least and, according to the instructions, I'm supposed to point the needle
up, hence the little fountain of insulin.)

Any help out there?  Thanks.