I remember the clinitest tablet - my grandmother used to test her mom's urine
by boiing the urine on the stove and adding the same chemical to look for a
reaction.  Thank God for progress.  i even remember reading somewhere that
one of the first treatments for DM was a high fat diet with low cards -
metabolism was slowed patient lived a little longer.  Burnt toast was the
meal in the am.  I cringe even when I think of the first pump I had that
weighed 2 bs and was larger than my telephone!! and the needles I used that I
bent to curve to my shape so they'd stick less.  Amazing