Re: [IP] Stephanie BS and Running

I feel like I am giving up. My bs has been bouncing up and down since I
have been on the pump and I just can't seem to get it under control. For
instance last night before I started exercising my sugar was 159 and for
the first time I left my pump on and decreased my basal by  50% checked
my sugar after I exercised and my bs was 245 so that meant I need to take
a bolus before bed and that brought my sugar low at 7:00am this morning;
so I drank a glass of juice and that brought my sugar up to 315. What in
the world is going on??? I feel like just going back on my shots because
I am tired of my sugars going back and fourth. It makes me feel bad.

email @ redacted >To: "Insulin Pumpers" <email @ redacted>
>Subject: [IP] Stephanie BS and Running >Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 10:35:13
-0400 > >Stephanie, >Look in "Pumping Insulin" chapter 5 page 45. There a
table for pump vacations, >i.e.: when you need to remove the pump for
extended periods of time. For your >two hour exercise with the pump off
you should bolus 80% of your usual basal >for the time period you are
"off pump". Also check page 163-164. This has a >brief, and I think too
small, description of exercise causing blood glucose to >rise as opposed
to falling. There is a very complicated physiological reason >why your
blood glucose is rising. There is just not much written compared to
>blood glucoses dropping. >The summation is use these tables for now and
start searching for more info. >about this reaction and you will be able
to fine tune your workout. >Another time you may see this reaction is
during times of stress. Sara, my >daughter, has incredible increases in
blood glucose during competition. She >likes to win, a lot. The tougher
the meet, the quicker and higher the blood >glucose rises. This is in a
sprint sport where the pump is off for maybe >five-ten minutes before a
race. Checking frequently is the only remedy we have >found for race
days. We have just gotten used to Sara's reactions, how fast it >is
rising etc. and can accommodate accordingly. >Good luck, >Pam