[IP] unexpected pump failures

> Out of curiousity...
> When you upgrade to the Paradigm do you have to trade in your old
> 508?  When we upgrade Laura's 4 year old H-Tron we plan to keep it
> as a backup (along with a few supplies) in case there is ever a
> problem.  I know the pump companies are good at overnighting pumps
> to you but even 24 hours without a pump can be a verrrrry long 24
> hours especially if you are on a trip.  In our case we were on a
> caribbean cruise last year when Laura's H-Tron gave a system alarm
> that we could not correct - since we had the backup pump with us we
> just switched her out and off we went.   So even though they will
> overnight a pump to you in our case it would have been a nightmare
> trying to figure out which island to have them send it to.

When you are traveling or visiting remote areas, the pump companies
are very good about providing a backup loaner in advance so you don't
have to worry about failure in the field.

If you are in an inconvenient, out of the way place and experience a
pump failure, there are other ways to deal with it that are not bad
at all. When we've had to deal with it, Lily just shoots regular into
the infusion port every 4 hours to cover basals and shoots fast
acting insulin for meals and snacks. There is no change in her total
insulin does or timing, bg's are very stable for her using this
procedure. The longest she's done this is three days.