[IP] Re: avoiding Animas low cartridge alarm

Hi, Linda,
I have an Animas, too, and this is how I avoid the
alarm in the middle of the night:

You have a choice as to when the pump will alarm for a
low cartridge--you can set it to alarm at either 40
units or 20 units.  (You just need to scroll through
several of the set-up menus to get to the screen where
you can set this--the L is for Low, or 20 units, and
the H is for High, or 40 units.)

If I know my cartridge is getting low, I will check to
see how much is left when I am getting into bed.  (I
usually have my pump set to alarm at 20 units.)  If
I'm under 40 units, I will change the alarm to go off
at the 40 unit level.  Then the pump alarms right
away, and I can sleep through the night, since it
won't alarm again until the cartridge is empty).

I have also used this technique to avoid a pump alarm
during meetings at work, church services, etc.

I go through about 7 units through the night, so be
careful if you change the setting on your alarm that
you will not be in danger of getting to the empty
stage during the night.

Hope this helps,

email @ redacted wrote:
My pump woke me up during the night when it got down
to 20 units in the cartridge.  Since that amount of
insulin sometimes lasts me a whole day, it didn't seem
worth losing sleep over <gr.>, and I'm wondering if
anyone has good techniques to avoid being awakened or
interrupted inconveniently by this alarm.  The only
thing I have thought of so far is bolusing down till
the alarm rings before I go to bed (or start the
activity I don't want interrupted) if I am coming
close to that amount -- this, of course, requires an
awareness that sort of negates the usefulness of the
alarm <gr.>.

Linda Z

Do You Yahoo!?
LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience