Re: [IP] A gusher?

Heidi Vogan <email @ redacted> wrote:

> Does this
> sound like a gusher-I've heard of them,but have never
> experienced one

You have now.

> Is it possible to hit an artery(or vein)with a
> set?

It is possible, and you probably did nick a vein (not an artery).  It took a
while because the tip of the set was past it, and you most likely opened it
up again when you withdrew the cannula.  In the meantime, it was leaking and
resulted in the little pool of blood around the insertion point.

BTW, had you nicked an artery, it would have shown up much sooner - and
instead of being dark the blood would have been bright red, and the gusher
would have spurted.  Arteries are deeper than veins.

Jim Handsfield