[IP] Blood Types, was Aspartame stuff

There are four different blood types (excluding the Rh factor for
simplicity at this point): A, B, AB, and O

There are three blood type alleles: A, B, and O.  Each person has two alleles.

O is recessive, meaning that you have to inherit two O alleles to have O
blood. A and B are dominant. So a person with type A can have either OA or
AA alleles.

When people reproduce, each parent passes one allele on to the child. The
results can be one of the following six combinations:

AA --> type A
AO --> type A
AB --> type AB
OB --> type B
BB --> type B
OO --> type O

So it's clear you don't have to be the same type as either your mother or
father.  For example, if two people with AO and BO alleles have a child,
that child could be either A, B, AB, or O, depending on the luck of the draw.

Rh works about the same way.  There are two alleles: Rh+ and Rh-.  Everyone
has two of them.  Each parent donates one to a child.

Rh- Rh- --> Rh -
Rh- Rh+ --> Rh+
Rh+ Rh+ --> Rh+

We'll have a test next week.