[IP] Pop in schools contributing to obesity/DM

The following letter was recently published in our local paper:

The recent Tribune editorial "Get pop machines out of schools" was the best
I have read in a long, long time. These schools should not be dependent on
income from these machines.

These students should be instructed as to the bad results from drinking this
liquid, along with the junk food. This combination contributes to the
ever-increasing number of people of all ages getting obese, plus diabetes in
younger people. <snip>

I want to take the opportunity to respond to the above message, and want it
to be in a *teaching* mode. That writer clearly believes he knows the cause
for diabetes. I'm pretty sure my response will be more than a short letter
and will probably end up in the Point of View column (overlength).

Can IPers help me in advising some of the things I should bring out - like
my overweight aunt who sits on the toilet eating an entire bag of fun-size
Snickers bars and never has developed DM? YMMV (~_^)

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." Mark Twain.