[IP] Re: Dare I mention - wine

I got this off of the internet because I too was interested in the carb
count for wines.  My endo suggested I don't drink any alcohol but....lets
get real.  Occassionally I find that I just want a glass.  The follow is
from www.wino.net:
The best choices would be reds more than whites as they usually have a lower
grams/liter sugar content. Wines are essentially made from carbohydrates,
but the sugars are broken down during fermentation. The sugar is converted
to alcohol. Many wines are not completely fermented in order to maintain
some sugar to add sweetness. In general, higher quality wines (and,
unfortunately higher priced) will have a lower sugar content as they are
usually fermented dry (little or no sugar). Cabernets and merlots in the
$15/bottle and up price range are probably your best bet. Also, wine has
been shown to enhance your body's ability to use its own insulin (insulin
sensitivity) so it can be of benefit (in moderation, no more than 1 or 2
glasses with one meal) in a low carb diet.
As for the label, there unfortunately is not a completely reliable way to
check the residual sugar in the wine. In general, a higher alcohol content
(which is listed on every wine label by law) may indicate lower residual
sugar, but this will vary widely by vintage and growing region. Many
wineries give more detailed info (including RS - residual sugar) about their
wines on their websites. Check here for a fairly comprehensive list of
winery web sites.

Also, www.wineloverspage.com has a nutritional analysis that breaks down
some wines.  Anyway, thought it was interesting.  Additional, we are still
all different and to each his/her own.