[IP] Prednisone

James Handsfield wrote:
"...not aware of any association between prednisone or any other steroid use
and type 1 (or type 2 for that matter)."

The use of Prednisone has been identified as a precursor to developing
diabetes both in humans and felines.  Marj has a human family member to whom
this has happened, and that person's endo has said this does happen, just not
a frequent development.  Also, in the past had a cat to whom this happened
(no, not our current Sugar Cat-we've been "blessed" to now have had two cats
with diabetes), and vet had forewarned that diabetes could develop.
Links below, good for general info, to support this occurring in humans.

"Adverse Effects List from First DataBank: Incidenc
e Incidence less frequent-DIABETES MELLITUS"

"Endocrine: ...decreased carbohydrate tolerance; manifestations of latent
diabetes mellitus..."

"Other metabolic effects include mobilisation of calcium and phosphorus with
osteoporosis and spontaneous fractures; nitrogen depletion and hyperglycaemia
with accentuation or precipitation of the diabetic state..."

Some folks luck out and upon discontinuing (titration first) Prednisone,
glucose levels return to normal, but others are not so lucky.

Marj; Mike (I'm not into computers, but glad to be on this list); and "Ace,
the PP" (portable pancreas)