Re: [IP] calculating protein in meals

On Mon, 6 May 2002 Pamela Payne wrote:

<<<I think I remember a message once that gave a formula for carbohydrate
counting that took into account the grams of protein and fat in the meal to
determine the meal bolus. I thought the reference originally came from
"Pumping Insulin", but I cannot find it in the book. Am I dreaming or does
someone remember this also. If you do, please reprint the formula or remind
where to access this handy mathmatical equation.>>>

MOST DIABETICS DO NOT COVER THEIR PROTEIN.  However, some do, (especially
those on Lowcarb-high protein diets).  Some people are figuring 50% of the
protein grams to be covered with insulin (usually not with a normal bolus of
rapid acting insulin).  I have compiled a list of factors. "Carb factors" and
"Protein factors",  based on the USDA database.  Remember, a scale to weigh
your food (by grams) will be needed.
A much easier way can be used knowing that most proteins have between 6-7
grams of protein per ounce.  Therefore, one can figure 3-4 grams(per oz. )
that needs to be covered with insulin.

Rabbi Hirsch Meisels
Jewish "Friends With Diabetes"