[IP] Mini Med Rant

 My name is Les.  Having been on a 508 for about 3 months, I am ready to rant
and vent.  Before going on the 508 I was injecting between 4 and 6 times a
day. The insulins used were NPH and Humalogue.  Now I am perfect!!!! I was
well taught the use of the 508 by an extremely efficient Disatronic
Rep/EDUCATOR.  I place the large case on educator as this is a very dedicated
man who after meeting me in my doctor's office, also came to my home to bring
different sets so as I would be happier and more comfortable pumping.  This
was great and I got on with pumping and began to get squared away with my
numbers even losing a little weight.
NOW the vent.  If some of you IPers have delicate ears, you may cover them.
I generally do not curse as my wife and dog would probably both bite me.
Here I go.  I was not comfortable with any MINI Med infusion set and was
given Disetronic by the Disetronic rep.  I have not been on this list long
enough that I would know if I can use personal names.  This rep is extremely
efficient and will go to parts above and beyond to help people.  He works the
New York Metro area and has letters in his name that start with Br.  Ahhhhh I
can't do that and embarrass him.
Meanwhile back to the vent and rant.  I have tried almost every Mini Med
infusion set and I have very poor results with them.  This does not mean that
they are bad, just not 100% for me.  Now, the Disetronic has a product called
Ultraflex.  These are fantastic (for me).  They release for the shower very
easily, they can be stretched out with the use of available site sets alone
and they release like a pig going through grease.  Reconnecting is also very
easy.  Buuttttt my insurance only covers Mini Med.  The mini med quick set
with the twist to release and twist the other way to reinsert?  Wellll I
don't know anyone else using these abominable items of torture but boy do I
have my problems.  Upon rising in the morning and getting the site to release
(I have large hands with thick fingers) I become a contortionist lining up
the triangle, the square.  Finally getting the tubing section off I am off
(I've been called worse) to the shower.  After doing my daily sanitary thing
I now have to put this contraption of evil back on.  Here is the problem.  It
finally slips and twists into place and I have my morning oat meal, the same
every morning, real boring but I am a diabetic (everyone applaud as I think I
know what it is to be in a twelve step program living one infusion set at a
time).  About one and a half hours later my BG is headed for outer space.
Numbers like 270 after taking Oat Meal and sugar free maple sugar?  The darn
site twisted and closed up upon reconnecting.  No occlusion alarm ever when
this happens.  Now I have to get a new reservoir, a new Quick Set and start
over from scratch and be patient until my numbers come down.  With the new
set in, my numbers drop to the low fifties.  I don't want to be on this
roller coaster.
How do I go about getting Disetronic Ultraflex sets when my insurance has a
contract with Mini Med.  Mini Med also does not sell just the site needles so
we won't have to change the tubing after 2 to 3 days when we have a perfectly
good reservoir and tubing that easily go for 6 days.  I was given some kind
of story by MM that the FDA regulates our use of set time.  Smacks of big
brother to me.  Also MM came out with their new Paradigm that only holds two
days worth of insulin for a lot of IPers.  The Paradigm also only uses its
own reservoir and infusion sets which are not interchangeable with any other
What do we have to do?  Start a movement?  Don't we have the right of what to
use in our bodies?  All I want is for the Manufacturers and insurance
companies to get their acts together and if they want to give us choices and
help us, then help us!
Thanks for letting me vent and if this letter is not posted I know who and
what are running this list.
Les H
wild in New York