Re: [IP] Emotional aspects of Diabetes

In a message dated 5/8/2002 11:43:58 AM Central Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> This is purely my opinion and understand that when you are depressed you
> want to
> take something to make the pain go away. I spent years drinking alcohol for
> the
> same reason. I've struggled with depression my whole life, even before I was
> diabetic.
> But doesn't it seem though that, in this case, depression is a very
> "healthy"
> response to a set of circumstances that are beyond our control? I mean who
> would
> not, in their right mind, be depressed at having to deal with this
> condition. At
> having to poke your finger 14 times a day and measure everything that you
> eat,
> etc. It's maddening. When you take antidepressants, it's sort of like you
> are
> telling yourself "ok now it's not even ok to be depressed about having this
> disease and having to do all this stuff in order to stay alive"...

Some of us have many other things than just diabetes going on in there daily
lives that are just too overwhelming to deal with alone so I don't think that
it is maddening or that we are even telling ourselves that it's not ok to
feel down on ourselves because we have this disease. Everyone deals with
things different and I feel that if you need the extra help and are willing
to get it, why not. It is a BIG step getting to the point of admitting you
need it or want it. (Just my opinion, of course)

                   Heather email @ redacted