Re: [IP] Pump, insurance help (long)

>We are in Texas. How would I find out about state mandates on diabetic
>training? Mike Swaithes

I found the following information at this
website:  http://www.diabetes.org/main/community/advocacy/texas.jsp

Self-Management Training (Education):

Diabetes education is a cornerstone of quality diabetes care. It is the
process of providing the person with diabetes the knowledge and skills
needed to perform self-care, prevent crises and make life style changes
required to effectively manage the disease. The goal of the process is to
enable the person with diabetes to assume his/her appropriate role as an
active participant in the treatment plan.

The new law allows people with diabetes to seek education from health care
professionals including qualified physicians, dietitians, pharmacists and
nurses, when:

* they are first diagnosed with diabetes; or

* a physician approves such self-management education to maintain or
improve a patient's health.

Be sure to gather and keep all documentation to substantiate your medical
need for equipment, supplies and education. Your insurance company may
require a deductible, copayment, or coinsurance.

Good luck.