Re: [IP] Emotional aspects of Diabetes

Natalie,

I think truly understanding chronic depression may be hard for people who
have the blues occassionally.  My girlfriend has chronic depression, and it
_IS_ a life-threatening DISEASE.  I, on the other hand, have the blues
occassionally - but my blues are an entirely different story than her
biochemical depression.  Her depression is very, very hard, and my blues go
away after a few hours.

Take Care,

Melany

> This is in reply to both Sue and Jennifer.
>
> Sue wrote:
> >When you take antidepressants, it's sort of like you are
> >telling yourself "ok now it's not even ok to be depressed about having
this
> >disease and having to do all this stuff in order to stay alive"...
>
> and Jennifer wrote:
> >I  agree with you about the antidepressants.  I think that you take them
> and >expect that they are "happy" pills when they are not.  Then you are
> >depressed because the "happy" pills don't make you happy.
>
> I need to tell you both that you appear not to understand the real nature
of
> severe depression. Of course no one likes having to do fingersticks and
take
> insulin to stay alive, but when you suffer from depression, you also need
> ANTIDEPRESSANTS to stay alive. I'm not talking "happy pills" here.
>
> The fact is that if you do not have biochemical depression, then
> antidepressants will do nothing for you except possibly give you side
> effects. When you suffer from depression, and can think of NOTHING except
> killing yourself 24/7, and can't stop crying and can't even take care of
> yourself other than to go to the toilet and binge on carbs, then
> antidepressants do a LOT to help lift you back into the world of the
living.

> Depression is NOT just feeling blue for a day or two because you have to
> take care of your diabetes. Lots of people with chronic illnesses feel
that
> way, and most cope without too much of a problem. On the other hand, some
> people go through SEVERE depressive crises, and there is absolutely NO
> comparison.
>
> I have to be honest and tell you that I feel minimized and degraded
because
> I have a LIFE-THREATENING disease which, simply because it originates in
my
> brain instead of my pancreas, is stigmatized and dismissed as mere
weakness
> and lack of willpower.
>
> I'm not going to go into this any further, but you do need to know that
I'm