[IP] Re: Insulin pumps and the beach

In a message dated 5/2/02 10:44:48 PM Central Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> I was at a products fair last month and my MM rep was there.  She was
> showing
> > me the Paradigm and I asked her about going to the beach and the concern
> > have about sand getting in the pump.
> >
> > Her comment was "You wouldn't take your cell phone to the beach, why
> would
> > you take your pump there?"   She caught me off guard and I don't care for
> > this woman anyway, so I didn't respond, then she started talking to
> someone
> > else.
> >
> > And one more thing....Before all this, I asked her if the MM 508  was
> water
> > resistant and she said NO.  I told her I was going to Great AMerica (Six
> > Flags) and I was planning on riding some of the water rides and was
> wondering
> > if it was ok for it to get a little wet. Again she said NO and that I
> > shouldn't have my pump on the rides.   OK, so where am I supposed to put
> > it??????????    Leave it in line with some stranger????????????

It's my understanding that the Paradigm is waterproof for a period of time.
I have a MM507C which is not waterproof.  I don't go in the water much but I
do wear it to the beach and take it off if I go in the water.  I leave it
wrapped in some clothes out of the sun and keep an eye on it.  I cut a small
hole in my one piece swim suit to thread the tubing through and then put the
pump in the pocket of shorts that I wear over my suit (I prefer not to wear a
two piece even though that would be easier).

If I were going on water rides at Great America, I would wear it then too and
since mine is not waterproof, probably just put it in a small plastic bag to
protect it some.  My pump sales rep told me if it fell in the water to just
take it out and dry it off.  It would not be ruined but it should not be
underwater in water for any length of time.

And I do bring my cell to the beach!