Re: [IP] Hemoglobin

From: Billie Sue Parker <email @ redacted>
>>>My hemoglobin levels are at 9.6 and my endo says they should be between
11 and 13.  He has
told me to begin taking an iron supplement twice a day.  The name of the
supplement is Feasol (???spelling). Will my hemoglobin being low cause
any special issues with me being a diabetic.  Is the supplement going to
cause my blood sugars to go crazy.  Anyone have any experiences?  :-)

Some thoughts: You are probably tired, when you have more energy produced by
more red blood cells (with the iron supplement), you will be more active and
that should affect your BGs - in lowering them. ;)

I'm taking 300 mg Niferex iron daily - *my* instructions are to take on an
empty stomach (this type of supplement) 2 hrs. after eating, or 2 hrs.
before. NO dairy products 2 hrs. either side of taking them or major
constipation occurs. Can I twist your question around to say *does my being
a DMer have any cause of being low hemoglobin?*  Could.  I have ESRD (End
Stage Renal Disease) and that's cuz of DM - and that's why the anemia *for
ME*. I also take 10,000u weekly of EPO (erythropoietin / Procrit / Epogen)
to build my bone marrow to make more red blood cells. I also have to very
carefully regulate my potassium intake - make sure a lab test is taken and
you are in the normal range before adding on too many bananas, potatoes,
orange juice, tomatoes, or much of the *good* stuff. :)  YMMV (~_^)

After studying the body you got to come to the conclusion all of this was
designed by a superb engineer with super intelligence. ~ Dr. Bender (spot)