Re: [IP] Infusion Sets soon a thing of the past for me (Part2)

 AFAIK, Minimed is working on the closed loop system (as well as all of the other companies) and it should be out around 2007.  My endo said the diaport isn't out in the US yet because it is awaiting FDA approval, but it'll be out pretty soon.  I am also waiting for the closed loop system; I think that will be the closest solution to the cure besides a transplant.  As for the diaport, I have been looking at the disetronic site trying to figure out what exactly it is, and it looks like an infusion set that can be worn longer than a few days.  I like to keep up with the upcoming technology, as I am sure the rest of you do.
Jenny Fisher
  fs <email @ redacted> wrote: ----- Original Message -----

> I just found out about the Diaport. Is this available outside of Europe?
-----------
To the best of my knowledge the procedure has only recently been approved in
Germany and also
in Switzerland. I don't know how far they have got in the States or
elsewhere.
I think the procedure is fairly simple, affordable and safe.
-----------
> I hadn't heard about it being used as a normal procedure in the U.S. And,
is
> this only for the Disetronic? Just curious.
-----------
The DiaPort should work with all pumps except the Paradigm. The Paradigm
does not allow the use of third-party tubing AFAIK.
Also the reduced resevoir capacity would not make it a good choice,IMO,
since the refill/infusion set change evry third day routine will not apply.

> I think all 3 major companies are working on closed-loop systems. That's
> what I'm waiting for. That will make the process so much easier.

I4ve been looking forward to a closed-loop system for decades now. Perhaps
Minimed will make rapid strides now that they are part of MedTronic. But
perhaps LifScan is going to surprise us all.

FS