RE: [IP] insurance ranting and questions

I was lucky and found a woman by chance and luck who spent her whole day working on my case.  Maybe you will get some luck...more likely, you will need your uncle to fight these JERKS.  Have him fax them a letter(threatening, of course) and see if that helps...sometimes a legal threat will get these inconsiderate, STUPID, uncaring people off their a-----, and force them to do something...sometimes a legal threat is all that will work.  Get him to fax them a letter asking for an explanation on why you can't seem to get an answer.  I would do this today.  That way they can "make a decision" by Friday, and you won't have to spend the weekend worrying.  I would get a new insurance ASAP.

It's not like you don't have enough stress dealing with a chronic illness....you need some more from these a..h....(excuse the profanity, but there is no other term for people like this.) I am sorry for you and hope you have good luck...Let us know what happens.

-----Original Message-----
From: email @ redacted [mailto:email @ redacted]
Sent: Thursday, May 02, 2002 9:00 AM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: [IP] insurance ranting and questions

It has been a month and I am still fighting with the insurance company to get
pump supplies.  In March my mom talked to them and they said my endo's office
needed to fax a letter of medical necessity and all the prescriptions and gave
us a name and fax number.  On the 27th the stuff was sent and in the fax they
told her to call me to let me know where to get the supplies.  Since then it
has been faxed 3 more times.  My mother and I have both called several times
(first weekly and then in the last week it has been daily) and the customer
service (the only phone number I have) people will not let me talk to this
woman, nor will they give me her phone number.  None of them have any record
and have no knowledge of what is going on (most of them think I am trying to
get a PUMP!).  The only thing they will do is take down my number.  I have said
I want to speak to a supervisor, they either say that isn't possible or that
they are the supervisor (a lie no doubt).  My employer has no other numbers
besides the one I have.  Tomorrow I am getting a detailed list of what is
included in the policy (which began Jan 1 but the employer is just now GETTING
this info!), and am hoping there are more phone numbers included.  I have a
claims address, but would a letter do me any good?  I doubt it.  My endo's
office has even called and they can't get anywhere.  The lady I spoke to today
was more helpful than most and said either the mysterious woman would call
later today, and if not than this lady would call me and let me know what was
going on.  If not, tomorrow I plan to call them back and say if I don't have
any info by Monday night, then Tuesday I am going to buy the supplies and have
it overnighted from Minimed and then send the bill to them, and get a lawyer.
I am so frustrated and disgusted.  For this insurance I pay more premium than I
did for Cigna, the prescription copays are higher, and also I am getting bills
that say even after I paid my copay there is an additional patient
responsibility after the insurance pays their part.  We were not informed of
this in the beginning.  Lancets are not covered under the prescription plan,
and glucagon, needles, and birth control all need a prior authorization before
I can get them filled ( which means a big fight every month to get the
stuff)!    I am at my total wits' end here.  What can I do?  Can I get other
insurance on my own?  What are my legal rights?  My uncle is a lawyer but he
practices in workers comp and auto insurance and does not know the laws
pertaining to diabetics and health insurance... but he would help me any way he
could.  I just don't know what my options are at this point.  I cannot get on
my boyfriend's insurance because we are not married...though we have been co-
habiting for 1.5 years, what's the law on legal civil marriage in Florida,
anybody know?  And would that enable me to get on his insurance through work?
I don't want to quit my job.  I know the employer is probably stuck in a
contract with this company.  So how can I get my supplies ASAP, and what
recourse do I have legally to get lancets covered?  And do I have to stay with
this company?  Do I get to look forward to  at least a year of difficulty ion
getting supplies and getting things paid for?  Please advise, I don't know what
to do next besides keep making pointless phone calls!