From: email @ redacted
[mailto:email @ redacted] On Behalf Of
email @ redacted
Sent: Wednesday, May 01, 2002 2:02 PM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: [IP] Glucowatch -- week 1

> I'm curious as to what made you decide to use the watch

Mostly because of my pregnancy.  My numbers have been really unstable
(by my standards) the past couple of weeks.  I'm not doing the typical
"insulin resistance" thing, probably because I'm still in the honeymoon
phase (diagnosed last August).

> Did you approach your doc or was it the other way around

I approached her, but she agreed.  I'm a technical person who is
constantly messing with computers, etc. so this kind of technology
really interests me.  I put myself on the pump (no training, no classes,
I didn't want to wait two months :-) so my doctor figured I could handle
this and said I was the perfect guineapig for the rest of her practice.

> have you tried to get the cost reimbursed by your insurance co

I have submitted the claim, but haven't heard from them yet.
Unfortunately, our company forced us to switch insurance effective
today, so I don't hold out a lot of hope.  The new insurance (Blue
Cross) told me that they definitely wouldn't cover it at this point.

> Prior to using the watch how many times per day did you check
> your levels and has that amount increased/decreased or stayed
> the same since you started with the watch

I checked 7-10 times a day before the watch, and this has probably
stayed the same with a couple of differences.  I am more likely to check
when the #s on the watch are seem to be off (even if I don't have
symptoms) and I'm less likely to check if the watch says I'm in the
80-140 range after eating.

> It sounds like you are using the watch mostly at night, is
> this correct?

Yes, I am having trouble with my basals at night -- they seem to be
changing on almost a daily basis, with lots of lows.  I'm not getting
enough sleep as it is, so waking up deliberately to test is a real

> I can't imagine the low end being set for 100

Since the readings are 20 minutes off, they want you to set the low
alarm for 20-30 points higher than the lowest you want to go without
knowing about it.  So assuming that # is 70, you are supposed to set it
for 100.  I've lowered my alarm level to 80 and I'm much happier.

> Sounds like it isn't really worth getting for private use
> quite yet

Depends on your situation, I suppose.  I think in my case it really is
helping me, but if I could have rented it for 7 weeks instead instead of
buying it, I probably would have considered that.  I am presuming like
all other technology, it will obsolete relatively quickly and only get
better over time.

> Hi was set for 400 and the low was set for 40

400 and 40 are the highs and lows for readings, not for alarms.  The
default for alarms is 240 and 100 but you can change them to whatever
you want.

> get the insurance companies on board and they will make money

I agree.  My personal opinion is that the watch (in the future) will be
like the pump.  It is an expensive initial investment for the insurance
companies to make, but in the long term, will save them $$ and so they
will invest in it.