[IP] Glucowatch -- week 1

> I'm curious as to what made you decide to use the watch

Mostly because of my pregnancy.  My numbers have been really unstable (by my standards) the past couple of weeks.  I'm not doing the typical "insulin resistance" thing, probably because I'm still in the honeymoon phase (diagnosed last August).

> Did you approach your doc or was it the other way around

I approached her, but she agreed.  I'm a technical person who is constantly messing with computers, etc. so this kind of technology really interests me.  I put myself on the pump (no training, no classes, I didn't want to wait two months :-) so my doctor figured I could handle this and said I was the perfect guineapig for the rest of her practice.

> have you tried to get the cost reimbursed by your insurance co

I have submitted the claim, but haven't heard from them yet.     Unfortunately, our company forced us to switch insurance effective today, so I don't hold out a lot of hope.  The new insurance (Blue Cross) told me that they definitely wouldn't cover it at this point.

> Prior to using the watch how many times per day did you check
> your levels and has that amount increased/decreased or stayed
> the same since you started with the watch

I checked 7-10 times a day before the watch, and this has probably stayed the same with a couple of differences.  I am more likely to check when the #s on the watch are seem to be off (even if I don't have symptoms) and I'm less likely to check if the watch says I'm in the 80-140 range after eating.

> It sounds like you are using the watch mostly at night, is
> this correct?

Yes, I am having trouble with my basals at night -- they seem to be changing on almost a daily basis, with lots of lows.  I'm not getting enough sleep as it is, so waking up deliberately to test is a real bother.

> I can't imagine the low end being set for 100

Since the readings are 20 minutes off, they want you to set the low alarm for 20-30 points higher than the lowest you want to go without knowing about it.  So assuming that # is 70, you are supposed to set it for 100.  I've lowered my alarm level to 80 and I'm much happier.

> Sounds like it isn't really worth getting for private use
> quite yet

Depends on your situation, I suppose.  I think in my case it really is helping me, but if I could have rented it for 7 weeks instead instead of buying it, I probably would have considered that.  I am presuming like all other technology, it will obsolete relatively quickly and only get better over time.

> Hi was set for 400 and the low was set for 40

400 and 40 are the highs and lows for readings, not for alarms.  The default for alarms is 240 and 100 but you can change them to whatever you want.

> get the insurance companies on board and they will make money

I agree.  My personal opinion is that the watch (in the future) will be like the pump.  It is an expensive initial investment for the insurance companies to make, but in the long term, will save them $$ and so they will invest in it.