[IP] Pre-existing illiness law?

Hi Everyone,
   We live in Michigan and I thought I've heard people talking about being
able to switch insurance companies without the fear of not being covered
because of a preexisting illness (diabetes).  Is this true?  I have a friend
who's daughter is diabetic.  (She became diabetic when she was 6).  Her
husband died 5 years ago when her daughter was 4. She had Cobra coverage for
3 years after his death then had to go to private coverage.  She'd like to
look for other insurance (better coverage), but thinks she can't because of
her daughters diabetes.  Is this true?
Dianne, Mom to Johnny 9