[IP] Re: early diagnosis

I was diagnosed in 1981 with T1, spent 3 days in the hospital, but no coma.
My mom was a nurse and so she was very aware of my symptoms.  About 3.5 years
later, the Barbara Davis Center was doing the initial studies using
antibodies for diagnosis/prediction of diabetes. My entire family was checked
for these antibodies, and my younger sister had a positive result.  They
performed an IV glucose tolerance test, which showed abnormal results.  As
she was one of the first people who were caught with diabetes in this way
they weren't sure what to do with her.  My mother, however, was smart enough
to know that full blown diabetes was inevitible and insisted she went on
insulin.  Pre insulin, I believe her fasting bg was somewhere between 150 and

Ironically, about 9 months prior to her diagnosis, my sister did a fasting bg
as part of a diabetes camp challenge (she attended as my non-diabetic
sibling).  The camp staff was alerted when her fasting bg was 130.