[IP] WV driver's license

On Thu, 31 May 2001 "Andrew M" <email @ redacted>

>New Jersey has Similar legislation. If you state you are diabetic and on
>insulin they require a long form with every intimate detail of your health
>being the subject of intense scrutiny by a panel of diabetes >physicians,
>as well as anyone at the DMV who might see your forms (actually they are
>quite respectful of your privacy in NJ and only >people in the "driver
>improvement" section see the info). The forms >were designed by a
>diabetologist who I know and respect and are >designed to get info on your
>ability to drive. As long as
>things are done respecting your privacy I don't think it's a bad idea.

I never knew that NJ required a doctors permission to drive!! I first got my
license there (I'm working in NYC now) when I was in high school some 23 or
so years ago and after getting a PA license somewhere down the road (also
without any doctor signiture) I moved back to NJ.

When I got my original license my diabetic doctor (who was a NJ doctor)
certainly knew I was going for it and never mentioned it.  And post pump he
also never mentioned it to me.

The only doctor I had that mentioned it was about 15 years ago in PA my
doctor told me that he would be required to write to the state about my
health if I didn't stop passing out from low blood glucose (thank G-d I
stopped, but not for that reason).