[IP] De Pression

From: Darrin Parker <email @ redacted>
Subject: Re: [IP] De Pression

>I just grew more anxious
>and held it all inside) Like everything else then, I took it personally and
>thought myself a failure - couldn't understand my anxieties etc.

This is an important point.  Most depression is caused by cognitive
distortions NOT chemical probelms thus antidepressants can't help in all

If you judge things or your actions or your test results as "good" or "bad"
or you use the phrase "I failed to" in your head or verabally; you are in
need of congitive therapy which is mostly self-help.  Most negative
feelings come form the way we think about problems NOT the probelms we are
thinking about!

Some books therapists rec:

"Toxic Parents"
"Feeling Good"
"Self Esteem"

All are sold everywhere.

Darrin Parker - Nova Scotia, Canada!
I do not agree with your premise. Depression is a biochemical dysfunction of
the brain in which the serotonin pathway is messed up. serotonin is a
happyness neurotransmitter. antidepressants today prevent the early rebinding
and disposal of serotonin. self help is not possible when he patient is in a
morrass of negative feelings and cannot use the methods you suggest. I agree
when you begin to come out of the tunnel these methods work well.  When you
tell depressed patients to help themselves and they can't they get more
depressed. There is a real place for psychiatrists in the mental health world.