Re: [IP] Lilly's accidental bolus

> >!  I didn't want to have to
> >  treat accidental boluses like Michael told of Lilly's
> bolus curtesy of her
> >  brother's toe!!<
> Michael could fill you in on this one, but if I remember the
> incident correctly, it had nothing to do with the lack of a
> lock-out feature.

The incident occured when Lily was 12yo. when we were camping summer
by the American River -- way out in the boondocks. It was in the late
afternoon when Lily gave Will a piggyback ride. Will was 5 as I
recall. Lily's pump was clipped to her waste band and Will managed to
push open the door on the pump and partially dislodge the syringe
with his foot -- THEN, he managed to push the syringe and deliver
most of the contents to Lily. Neither of them was aware of what was
going on. When she put Will down she discovered the syringe hanging
out of the pump and came looking for me. I thought about trying to
get her to a medical facility and decided against it figuring that it
would be better to treat her immediately and vigorously than to hunt
around for medical help. We spent all night sitting up popping
glucose tabs every 20 - 30 minutes to keep ahead of the falling bg's.
Best guess is that she infused about 90 units of insulin. Fortunately
we had several 50 tab bottles of glucose with us and plenty of food.
She ate a few snacks, but mainly relied on the glucose to keep her
bgs in the 60 - 150 range. Estimated bg fall rate was several hundred
points per hour.

I talked to her endo when we returned home and he said that we choose
the best course of action. Oral glucose can be administered
faster and in greater quantity than any other method. Lily was fine,
a little tired the next day, but no worse for the wear.