RE: [IP] De Pression

Fran Baumgartner [mailto:email @ redacted] wrote:

> I can
> guarantee you if you had walked in my shoes you would not be
> making such a
> statement as you did above.  I have tried every
> antidepressant known to man
> and not one has worked for me.  I also know several diabetics
> who have been
> told my doctors and research that diabetics don't respond well to
> antidepressants.  So, please in future don't be so exact and
> remember we
> are all different and statements like yours can be construed
> as insensitive
> and cruel.

I am sorry you see it as insensitive and cruel.  I did not mean it to be,
nor do I wish to make light of a serious condition.  I am sorry you suffer
from this.

It takes many replications before something can be established in the
biomedical field.  My statements, which I almost always make from my
perspective as a biostatistician and epidemiologist, are never exact in that
any one individual will have the same experience, solution, etc.  The paper
which spawned this thread makes use of that exact methodology (i.e.
"Diabetics twice as likely to suffer depression").

That being said, depression *IS* treatable.  Some people respond better to
treatment than others.  I suppose there are those who feel that no treatment
has worked (you appear to be one).  That interpretation is problematic
because there's no way to tell how you would have felt, etc., with NO
treatment, no medication, etc.  Once a choice is made, there's no way to
know what would have happened if another choice had been made.

Jim Handsfield
email @ redacted OR