[IP] Re: Charcot's Foot HELP!!

> Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 21:34:03 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Heather Nicholson <email @ redacted>
> Subject: [IP] Charcot's Foot HELP!!
> Dear friends,
>    I was just wondering if anyone on this wonderful
> group has a Charcot's Foot or has a loved one with
> one. >

I have a Charcot foot and no  ampuation for me!!!.  Following the original
flareup in 1992,  I met with despairing attitudes from my endo and the
orthopedist I consulted.  I was told I would have an amputation within five
years  Ha!!!  I had more help from my podiatrist than anyone else even when
the navicular bone broke and it looked pretty grim.  I was in a wheelchair
then ambulated  in an aircast  until the bone healed.
Here a clinic that  also helped me enormously.
(The clinic is at Staten Island University Hospital in New York ) and I
quote from their website:

"One in 20 New Yorkers suffers from diabetes. One of their greatest fears is
the possibility of losing a limb. The diabetic treatment center at Staten
Island University Hospital has pioneered successful treatments for diabetic
foot problems, including ulcers and infections. The majority of patients are
medically treated and stabilized, even those previously recommended for
surgery. Our procedures usually minimize, and often prevent,
hospitalization. Specialty physicians and therapists evaluate a patient
using state of the art biomechanical devices which are individually
customized. In fact, Staten Island University Hospital is recognized
nationally as a "center of excellence" for these special foot problems.

Call Staten Island University Hospital at 1-800-777-2880 "

They deal with Charcot all the time and thanks to their positive attitude
and recommendations , my own foot has healed very well.  I wear orthopedic
shoes to protect my feet, but they look great and function very well.  I get
lots of physiotherapy at this time because I am recuperating from a
fractured tibia - not related to Charcot-in the opposite leg.  (March 5th of
this year).   Between the excellent control provided by my insulin pump and
all the exercise I'm getting, it looks as if I may be able to give up the
orthopedic shoes pretty soon.)

Best wishes to you and to your mom.  Write if I can help you in any way.

Denise Guerin
Type1 46 years
Minimed 507 3years