RE: [IP] De Pression

Jan [mailto:email @ redacted] wrote:

> So who with diabetes isn't depressed? :-\  You have to take
> care of your
> diabetes on top of everything else in your life while
> wondering what the
> future holds for you.

Let's make a distinction here: I am often frustrated when my body decides to
do something other than what I expected.  Overall, my control, thanks to
diet, exercise, and Humalog in an insulin pump, is excellent (last HbA1c was
5.6%).  But sometimes either I misjudge the amount of CHO I'm eating, or
some other factor, and . . . well, we've all been there, and you all know
the rest.

But that frustration, and anger at having this damned disease, etc., is not
depression.  Depression is a clinical condition that is treatable, not
simply having an emotional response.  Let me repeat: depression is

FWIW, I'm pretty sure I am not depressed.  In many ways, having diabetes has
been a "good thing" in that I've been made more aware of taking care of
myself, etc.  It is a little sobering to have a potentially terminal
disease, but then everyone dies of something eventually.  At least with this
disease, I can do something to control it that doesn't totally destroy my
quality of life.

So, while I recognize the validity of saying that people with diabetes are
twice as likely to suffer depression, that does not mean that everyone will
be or is depressed.

Jim Handsfield
email @ redacted OR