Re: [IP] Diabetics Unit against Cancer *Update*

At 02:02 PM 5/30/01 -0400, you wrote:
>In a message dated 5/30/01 12:06:39 AM Central Daylight Time,
>email @ redacted writes:
> > Basically what the program does is takes a single molecule and bends it
> > folds it to try and make it interact with a single protien that is used in
> > cancer growth.  If the molecule "interacts" with the protein then it could
> > mean that, that molecule can be used in a treatment.  they are testing
> > Hundreds of millions of molecules against 4 protiens.
> >
>thanks, but i'm still confused.  what i'm confused about is how is it testing
>proteins?  are we hooked into a network that has actual molecules on the
>other end that a computer is doing something with?  i guess all i'm confused
>about is how the computer relates to the actual real-life

There are no actual molecules or proteins involved.  Your computer works on
computer-generated models of a target protein and a molecule to see how the
molecule might interact with the protein. Each molecule is tested for as
many 3-dimensional shapes (conformations) as it might adopt.  This is done
using complex computational chemistry equations.

The scale of the project is phenomenal.  While there are only a few target
proteins, there are hundreds of millions of molecules to be processed, each
of which may have any number of conformers, or 3-dimensional shapes. To
give you an idea of the number, the molecule my computer is processing
right now has several hundred thousand conformers.

I think it's important to point out that when using this program we're not
really hooked into a network in the usual sense.  Each computer works on a
tiny part of the big picture and then sends the results back to the
University of Oxford for further research.  The client program you run on
your computer can't access anything on your computer but project data.  The
University itself can't access anything your computer, only the results
sent back by the client program.

I've been running the client program on my computer for just over a month
now and I don't even notice it--except when I use the ultra-cool screen
saver <vbg>.  It's a great way to help in the efforts to find a cure for
cancer, and at the same time generate some positive PR for the Insulin
Pumpers group.

If you're interested in joining, click on this link
http://members.ud.com/download/gold/ , download the program, then go to
to join the Insulin Pumpers team.  We currently have 17 members.  Let's
increase that number in a big, big way!

IP-Admin group