Re: [IP] loose cannulas

I tape 3 or so loops of tubing an inch or so away from the site as a
"safety loop" so if he pulls on the tube it does not pull out the
site.  We had problems with loose cannulas for several months before
I discovered I could minimize the chances of this happening by:

   * putting the site through an IV 3000 or tegaderm.

   * adding tension to the inch of tubing bewteen the site and the
safety loop so that the tube arches about a quarter inch and pushes
in the direction of the cannula.

   * positioning the pump so that it does not pull on the tubing

   * positioning the site horizontally so that it doesn't get doubled
up in the body's flexing.

The combination of all of these "tricks" has been working much better
for us the last several months.

father of Trent, almost 5-yo, dx 6-19-00 pumping 8-31-00