Re: [IP] NY Times article about Type 1 prevention trial

Sylvia (mom to Joshua) wrote:
>Capsule that contains insulin...????? Is there really such a thing?  What
>am I missing???

The theory is that ingesting insulin *somehow* allows the body to avoid the
auto-immune response. The capsules just contain insulin. They're swallowed,
then digested. The insulin is rendered inactive by the digestive process,
but it's conjectured that the remnants may be absorbed and *somehow*
protect the beta cells.

I met a researcher from Joslin years ago who related to me the amazing
possibility of simply swallowing insulin to avoid developing Type 1 -- it
seems there were some small trials underway at Joslin. Now it's finally
being tested in a full trial.

regards, Andy