[IP] Surgery and pumps

In a message dated 5/28/01 2:10:28 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< When I had surgery for a broken tibia and fibula last March,  the endo who
 helped me with my pump (my regular endo was not affiliated with this
 hospital) put me on NPH  just prior to the surgery and told me I could
 resume pumping as soon as I was up to it. He told me that no matter how much
 he had tried to educate the staff at the hospital re pumps,  he couldn't get
 through their misconceptions so he felt it was safer for them to use
 something they understood and then let me take over as soon as I could. >>

Now, this is what bothers me. They do not remove the pancreas of somebody who
does NOT have diabetes before surgery and give them NPH. If they can manage
to "handle" somebody who has a functioning ("natural") pancreas, why can't
they handle somebody who has an artificial plancreas? If your basals are
good, there shouldn't be much danger during surgery. If anything, people are
likely to go high. If they go low, I suppose somebody could shoot some
glucose in -- just as they'd do if the patient were on injections.

Fie on the medical "professionals" who don't care to learn!

Jan and Elvis