[IP] Re: update on same day surgery and pump stuff

> Faith and ?? wrote

> > Since I am the first pumper to go thru with the pumper protocol in place
> maybe with more of us they will begin to see the need for a change.
> I definately believe that any pumper going for surgery needs to pro-active
> and do their homework so they can ask the right questions and get what
> want for themselves.
> OH and btw, when asked what insulin I used I said Humalog.
.  Good grief.
>   Neither one of them could get it thru their heads that there is another
> insulin that they've never heard of.  But they were both nice and listened
> carefully to everything else.  sigh.....

When I had surgery for a broken tibia and fibula last March,  the endo who
helped me with my pump (my regular endo was not affiliated with this
hospital) put me on NPH  just prior to the surgery and told me I could
resume pumping as soon as I was up to it. He told me that no matter how much
he had tried to educate the staff at the hospital re pumps,  he couldn't get
through their misconceptions so he felt it was safer for them to use
something they understood and then let me take over as soon as I could.

I disconnected, but kept the infusion site in place. I handed my pump to my
husband who handed it back to me with my meter when I came out of the
recovery room.  My BG was high and I was sort of foggy, but I managed to
reconnect and bolused conservatively as I knew I had some NPH still working.
I seem to have done every thing right but more by instinct than anything
else.  Later I found out that my bloood pressure had become so low during
surgery that  the surgeon had considered giving me a blood transfusion.
Somehow the anesthesiologist got it up again, but no wonder I was  so light

The nursing staff had orders to let me do what I wanted with my pump, just
record my BG from MY readings on MY meter and whatever I told them I bolused
for.   I also had a stash of food
in my night stand and was able to eat a few gingersnaps (they helped me with
nausea)  and I recorded this also.

When the endo came by later, he just read my notes and increased my basals
based on my own records only.  He did say that I should have removed the
infusion site prior to surgery in case the site became clogged, but it
didn't so that worked out ok.   To tell the truth,  doubt if I would have
had the coordination to put in a new Sil so soon after surgery so I might
have delayed returning to pumping had the site not been in place.

The biggest problem I find in hospitalization is the incredible array of
health care workers who approach my bedside each with the potential of
causing harm.  That's why I know that I have to be super firm and never ask
if I can do something, just TELL them what I am doing.  This means I must
really be informed!  That's where all I learn on Insulin Pumpers comes to

 The good news is that all this worked for me and my leg healed beautifully.
Yesterday, I recorded three and one half miles on my new pedometer.  Not bad
for a 61 year old who was using a walker three weeks previously!!!!

Denise Guerin
Type 1 46 years
Minimed 507 3 years