[IP] Protein and elevated BG's

I read in my carbs counter book that a meal high in protein can increase
your blood sugar.  Has anyone had this happen to them?

I had a terrific 2 hour post meal bg (129 mg/dl) and 2 hours later (4 hours
total post meal), by blood sugar shot up to over 300 with no explanation.

The only logical explanation was the two large hamburgers I had as part of
the meal.  Could the fat, and protein have inhibited the carbs until 4
hours after the meal?

If any one experiences this, what guide do you use to predict / bolus for this?

Some days are just not worth chewing through the restraints to participate
in. ;-)