Re: [IP] update on same day surgery and pump stuff

Faith wrote:
> preadmission thing yesterday.  Everything went fine til the
>anes. dr walked in.  I told him what i'd been told and he told me there was
>no such prodical for pumps and surgery.  I told him the diabetes center told
>me there was.  He made out like i was ignorant and didn't know what i was
>talking about.  Wasn't happy with the advice from my endo either.
>Told me to lower all my basals to the lowest setting if i wanted to keep the
>pump on and that was it.  He left.  I was upset.
>The nurse doing the workup called the diabetes floor and they sent down the
>pump directive!  She believed me and i was right!  :)
>I hate getting bad attitudes from drs.  Another anes.  dr came in and and she
>(a lady dr, yea!  i have had much better luck with them) and she gave me
>great advice that was what i had been told by my endo and the diabetes
>center.  She asked to see my pump and i gave her and the nurse a short course
>in how the d-tron works.  She said that she believed that diabetics knew
>better how their diabetes worked and how to treat it because they live with
>it everyday.  She also wrote an order that i wasn't to be given any sedative
>til i'd talked to the anes. dr assigned the day of surgery so that i could
>show him how the pump worked.  WOW  what a difference in dr attitude.

You said this all happened in preadmission, and I get the impression
that neither of these anes. drs was to be your actual anes. dr. Am I
correct that the preadmission personnel just arranged to bring in any
anes. dr to talk to you? That's the only way I can account for the
second dr being brought in. Apparently the preadmission people sensed
that they needed to bring in another dr, and it's fortunate that they

This is more evidence of the problem I encountered last July. In some
(many?) communities the anestheologists try to remain anonymous until
the last minute before any particular surgery, and this works against
us pumpers who NEED contact with THEIR anesthesiologist to establish
an understanding that the pump will be handled in a way that is
acceptable to the patient, the patient's endo, the anesthesiologist,
and the surgeon. Unless we fight for acceptance of pumps by all
anesthesiologists we are going to have to deal with what Faith had to
deal with. Fortunately for her, someone brought in another anes.

And Faith, I hope your surgery will be (was?) successful.

Tom Beatson
dx 1942, pumping since 1995