Re: [IP] Vaccines

Here is our start up schedule:  11 weeks in a row we would travel to Portland,
OR from Bend, OR (about3.4-4hrs.)
We would do this one day a week . (up and back in the same day )  The
appointments would vary in length from 1 - 4 hrs. and we would meet with
various people, such as Nurse Educator, Nutrutionist, or
Pump certified lady, but never meet with the Doc. Once we started on the pump,
we did one week of saline,Went back to Ptld., and have been able to fax daily
BG, basal, Bolus etc.  to get a call back or fax back on adjustments.
For three weeks now.(we have not had to drive to Ptld.)  Eleventh and final
appt. (for start-up) is next week.  We started this process in December 2000,
but had a small set back (nothing to do with diabetes), so we have had our
pump in our hands since then.  By the way, these 11 Education visits cost
$695.00/all.  Not covered by our BCBS plan, because we had met our $124.00
lifetime education allowence. (Don't get me started on this issue)Of which, we
met 4 yrs ago. when my son was dx and in the hospital for 7 days.  I guess I
need to be thankful, because after the first of the year charges went up to
$1188.00.  Beau mom, Sheelah

>>> email @ redacted 05/25/01 06:41AM >>>
I have always felt that the immunizations my daughter received 8 weeks
before being diagnosed triggered the diabetes!  Have also spoke with
others who felt the same.  All the peds and endos said they did not feel
the same way, except one - who agreed I should NOT vaccinate by son.
Interesting...

Our experience with pump training was in house by Minimed for about 3
hours, she showed how the pump worked and went over the basics.  Alyssa
put it on and started with saline for about 7 days.  Then, the endo
admitted her to the hospital for 36 hours to start insulin.  At first, I
didn't think we needed it...but it turned out to be some good training.

Has anyone had problems with bad inserts???  Where you think they went
in put are outside the body?  We have had this happen two times and I'm
not sure what she is doing to cause it.