Re: [IP] Summer Heat

On Fri, 25 May 2001 16:58:49 EDT, email @ redacted wrote:
> What about the insulin denaturing and becoming ineffective in the heat?
>Last summer we had several  days over 110 and what felt like 100's in the
>100's.  My son likes to be outside even in this heat and at the least you
>have to get in and out of the car (Hard to estimate how hot the car is!).
>Has anyone had any trouble?  How long before you realized a problem?  Any

I live in Phoenix and we get several days a year when temperatures are
over 110 Fahrenheit. I started pumping with a MiniMed 506 in July 1995
and upgraded to a 508 in September 2000. As a 68-year old my life
style may not be the same as your 7-year old son, but I have never had
problems with the insulin (Humalog) in the heat. I don't like to stay
outside when it gets that hot, but I don't hesitate to get in the car
and go where I need to go. And I certainly get exposure to the heat
when I walk between my car and whatever store I am headed for. I had
one possible close call when a person stopped me outside the post
office in the direct sun and engaged me in a conversation. After about
10 minutes I decided that I had better excuse myself and get into the
post office. I continued for about 24 hours before I ran out of
insulin and was forced to start a new reservoir.

I realize this isn't going to be a complete solution to your problem,
but I hope it helps.

Tom Beatson
dx 1942, 506 1995, 508 2000