[IP] RE: M.D.I. question

>Prior to pumping did anyone have anything close to the amount of "training
>and support" that pumping has to learn M.D.I.?
>hmmm - thinking out loud - wonder what equal training and support learning
>M.D.I. would do for people's feelings about M.D.I.
>Jim S.
>email @ redacted

I think you asked this a while back but it's a good point and I often wonder
why similar training is not offered to non-pumpers.  I agree, in part, with
your implied statement that much of the improved control is perceived to be
exclusively because of the pump when much of it could be attributed to
training in proper basal insulin use, carb counting, figuring bolus rates,
etc.  I agree that if the same time and effort went into preparing the
patient for MDI, better results would be achieved.  However, I don't think
the results would ever approach that of pump use.  Long-acting insulin,
while convenient, carries a big club that is just waiting to be swung at the
unsuspecting diabetic, often at unpredictable times.  MDI can never come
close to a pump with properly set basal rates.  Pumping and MDI both require
a lot of work.  The difference is that there is a positive pay back with the
pump---you get results for your efforts.

John Kinsley
Type 1 - 1956
MiniMed 507 - 1998