Re: [IP] M.D.I. question

In a message dated 5/24/2001 5:45:48 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> Prior to pumping did anyone have anything close to the amount of "training
>  and support" that pumping has to learn M.D.I.?

When my daughter was diagnosed on 11-8-00, our pediatrician sent us to the
Barbara Davis Center for Childhood Diabetes the next day . . . We had two
consecutive days of training and education about diabetes & MDI.  We paged
the endo every morning and evening for a week to get dosage adjustments and
then worked off a sliding scale after that. A week after dx and again a month
after dx, we had another 1/2 day each of education and training.  At each of
these four visits (totalling 3 days of time), we met with our CDE, endo,
social worker, and dietician (we learned carb counting from the very

We're doing out saline start tonight (yippeee!) and the insulin start on June
1.  So, for pump training we will have had one 4 hour "generic" pump class
(group),  and two 2-3 hour Animas-specific sessions at the saline and insulin
starts . . .