[IP] RE: quick sets

>>Did minimed make you pay for your sample too??
>>this kind of upsets me.  I had to pay 12 dollars to get two sets
>>sent to me.
>>After all the money they get from my insurance company and myself this is
>>ridiculous!! Jenni

>spot answers:
>Do NOT interpret this as pump bashing. I love my minimed pump but I felt
>compelled to write this:
>There is a Yiddish word for this "chazzer", rhymes with and sounds like
>bazzer.  it means PIG, oink oink unkosher.
>Minimed, not content to capture a large portion of the pump Market now is
>exploiting their position with this kind of behavior. I know that they have
>put a lot of resources into their research and development
>efforts, CGMS has
>been a big bust. because they did not have the sense to force the payment
>issue first Sadly economics dictate thatDocs cannot afford to buy
>stuff that
>they can't bill for no matter how wonderful it is or how much good
>it will do.
>I called up and as a physician had to call twice to get a couple
>of samples.
>I'm glad I didn't buy the box, I like the sils better. after 18
>months I have
>a near painless way to insert them and the disconnect thing is a non issue
>with me. I hear their new pump will just about lock up the
>supplies market. I
>have always bought all my stuff from Hollywood Medical which is owned by
>Minimed. I've spent thousands of dollars and the service has been great. I
>love the pump and the company has been wonderful in their
>development efforts
>but the tactics and marketing end has been less than exemplary. I'm
>considering changing supplies companies. so, minimed lets revert to a more
>kosher behavior pattern. no more oink oink.  spot

In my opinion, there is a dual purpose for offering a free sample of the
Quick-Set, or any other product.  First, it is to accommodate the customer
because the company realizes that their pump users need to properly evaluate
a new product before expending large amounts of personal and/or insurance
money.  The second reason is that any company needs to promote a new product
to position itself against competitors.  It is not required, despite the
popular I am entitled to free stuff opinion, that any company give their
wares away.  Try calling any of your local retailers to request a free
sample of their product!  MiniMed, and the other pump companies, have always
been very generous and accommodating to their customers.  Most of the time
there is a valid reason for any business decision.  If it comes to telling a
customer that their order cannot be filled because the product is in short
supply or to tell another customer, who wants a free sample of the same
product, that the product is in very limited supply and not available for
free distribution, I know what I would do.  I would charge for the sample.
That would enable those who need a sample (to make a decision on what to
order) to get one, while discouraging others who are just curious and who I
would otherwise like to accommodate.  Two weeks ago, I called MiniMed to
place an order for supplies.  I was asked if I wanted my usual order of
Sof-Sets.  No mention of Quick-Sets; so I inquired.  I wanted to split the
order so I could evaluate the QS.  I could not split the order but they
offered to send a sample and, if I preferred the QS, I could make an
exchange.  Well, I did like the QS so I called back to arrange for the
exchange.  Jokingly, I asked what they were going to do with all the
Sof-Sets that were destined to be sent back.  I was told that was no problem
but the QS was in very short supply and they had just that morning stopped
all samples and exchanges.  However, since I was advised prior to the
decision I could make the exchange.  Since I also like the Sof-Sets I asked
if it would be preferable to MiniMed if I just kept them.  They said it
would help them out but it was entirely up to me.  I kept the Sof-Sets.  No
business decision is going to please everyone.  I think MiniMed made the
right decision that balances their interests, the customers interests and
the available supply of Quick-Sets.

John Kinsley
Type 1 - 1956
MiniMed 507 - 1998