[IP] How much do you test?

I am curious as to how much the average pumper tests.

Being new to the pump, I am testing a lot and feel I have better control
the more I test.  I am learning a lot about the different cycles my body
has with glucose levels increasing by themselves etc.  I would assume that
once I obtain target bg goals that I could test less, but still a certain
minimum amount.

A previous MD, uneducated in diabetes care, was upset when I tried to test
a lot and ingrained the idea in me that testing too much is bad.

So, still being a little gun shy about this, how much testing is too much,
if that is possible?

Some days are just not worth chewing through the restraints to participate
in. ;-)